When you get your Walters Turkey home it is important that you take good care of it!
On collection your turkey will be oven ready, carefully wrapped in greaseproof paper and neatly placed in a box with a sprig of fresh rosemary, a Pop-up Timer®, recipe leaflet and vacuum packed giblets to make a delicious gravy accompaniment. We suggest you keep the turkey in its box and place it in the refrigerator as soon as possible.
Always remember to bring your turkey to room temperature before cooking to ensure it cooks evenly. Remember ovens vary and the amount of stuffing and coldness of the turkey will affect the overall cooking time.
Whole Turkey or Crown:
- It is best to remove the trussing string on the whole turkey before cooking.
- Do not stuff the main cavity, as this will stop the turkey from cooking properly. Instead, you might like to place an apple or lemon and onion in the cavity.
- There are so many delicious stuffing recipes available, we recommend using your desired recipe to stuff the neck end of the turkey.
- Gravy always tastes better if the turkey giblets are used to make it.
Carving Tips for the whole bird:
- Hold the leg by the end knuckle, cut close to the body and twist off.
- Carve the dark leg meat.
- Remove the wing and cut in half.
- Slice the breast meat from the side and repeat for the other side.
We recommend keeping the netting on for cooking as it helps keep the shape of the breast roast. Once cooked rest well then remove the netting before slicing the breast meat.
Whole Turkey or Turkey Crown
Pre-heat the oven to 210 degrees C fan oven. Sprinkle your turkey with salt and pepper insert timer at a point 2-3cm to the right or left of the breast bone. Then place the turkey breast side down in a roasting tin and cover loosley with foil. Cook the turkey at this temperature for the first 20 – 60 minutes depending on size, before reducing the heat to 170 degrees C for fan oven for the remaining time.
About 20 – 30 minutes before the end of cooking open the foil and turn the bird onto its back to brown the breast.
If cooking a Breast Roast follow the same guidelines as above working on a cooking time of approximately 45 minutes per kilo.
About 20-30 minutes before the end of cooking open the foil and turn the bird onto its back to brown the breast.
|Weight in KGs (if stuffed use stuffed weight)|
|4 Kilos||2 hrs 10 mins|
|5 kilos||2 hrs 15 mins – 2 hrs 30 mins|
|6 kilos||2 hrs 30 mins -2 hrs 45 mins|
|7 kilos||2 hrs 45 mins – 3 hrs|
|8 kilos||3 hrs|
|9 kilos||3 hrs 15 mins|
|10 kilos||3 hrs 30 – 4 hrs|
|11 kilos||4 hrs – 4 hrs 30 mins|
Remove the turkey from the oven, cover loosely with foil and rest well before carving.
Remember ovens vary and the amount of stuffing and coldness of the turkey will affect the overall cooking time.
Oven temperature variations, amounts of stuffing and coldness of the turkey will affect the overall cooking times. Be careful not to overcook your turkey. The pop up timer and cooking times should only be used as a guide. Ensure the turkey is cooked through.